Sunday, April 20, 2008

This ain't no petting zoo!


So this last weekend, I went camping out on Assateague Island. Yeah, I too thought that this was a cuss word until I moved out here. This is a skinny island off the coast of Maryland where you can camp on the beach. Yes, camp on the bizzeach. I booked a spot last month and have been looking forward to it ever since. Everyone in my original group bailed on me but that didn't slow me down. I went out with some other peeps that alreay going to be in Ocean City and staying in a hotel. I was able to pull a few and get them to camp on the beach. Another cool thing about this little gem is that there are wild horses that roam the island freely. Okay, so maybe they're called stallions. I actually tamed one, road it bareback along the soft sands of the beach, as I rode shirtless. Okay, so maybe that's a stretch but these horses were everywhere. Being a National Park, I felt like I was back in Yellowstone looking for grizzly bears as I did for so many summers growing up. This place was off the food chain. I've already got my next tripped planned out there where you can rent canoes and canoe back into this canoe-only campground further down the island. After cruising the island, we went back to Ocean City and I went for a long run along the boardwalk and checked out all the trash in Ocean City...and I'm not talking about litter. After the Thrasher's Fries, we were off and back to DC.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I am laughing out loud at the thought of you riding bareback as you tame wild horses. Seriously.